Why Mo'ket Harborough?
Well, during the month of November, men across the world grow moustaches to raise awareness and funds for men's health - in particular, prostate and testicular cancer. Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in UK men and so many Harborough residents will be affected by it – you may well know someone yourself.
However, it’s not just that Movember is a fantastically important cause, it’s also something that everyone can get involved in…Mo Bros, Mo Sistas…everyone…and so that’s why we're hoping as many of you as possible will get involved with 'Mo'ket Harborough'.
The Health Stats
General Men’s Health
- Men have a 14% higher risk of developing cancer than women and a 37% higher risk of dying from it
- The average life expectancy for men in the UK is almost four years less than women
Men’s Mental Health
- Suicide is the single most common cause of death in men under 35
- 1 in 4 people in the UK will experience some kind of mental health problem in the course of a year
- Mixed anxiety and depression are the most common mental disorder in Britain
- In the UK, 1 man dies ever hour from prostate cancer
- Over 40,000 men are diagnosed with prostate cancer every year.
- It's estimated that by 2030, prostate cancer will be the most common cancer.
- Testicular cancer is rare before puberty but is the most common cancer in men aged 25-49 in the UK.
- Around 2,200 men in the UK were diagnosed with testicular cancer in 2011