What is Movember?
The Movember Foundation is a global charity committed to men living happier, healthier, longer lives. Since 2003, millions have joined the men’s health movement, raising £402 million and funding over 1,000 projects focusing on prostate cancer, testicular cancer, poor mental health and physical inactivity.
- Movember is an annual, month-long moustache growing charity event run by the Movember Foundation. It’s about bringing back the moustache, having fun, and raising awareness and funds for men’s health: specifically prostate cancer, testicular cancer and men’s mental health.
- The moustache is Movember’s hairy ribbon; it’s the symbol to generate awareness and raise funds.
- Men sporting Movember moustaches effectively become walking, talking billboards for the 30 days of November to raise much needed awareness around the often-ignored issue of men’s health.
- Mo Bros and Mo Sistas sign up at Movember.com
- Mo Bros start the month clean-shaven on 1st Movember and grow and groom their moustache for 30 days.
- It’s about real men, growing real moustaches, talking about real issues. Simple.
- Men’s health conversations throughout Movember encourage men to:
- know their family history
- understand their key health numbers
- take action to remain well
- Mo Sistas can sign up and get involved. They play an important role in getting men to think about their health. It’s about supporting the men in your life, getting involved and having some fun.
Some facts & figures about the campaign
- Since its beginnings in Melbourne Australia in 2003, Movember has grown to become a truly global movement with campaigns in 21 countries.
- To date more than 4 million Mo Bros and Mo Sistas have raised over £345 million.
- In 2013 over one quarter of a million Mo Bros and Mo Sistas signed up to show their support in the UK.
About the Movember Foundation
- The Movember Foundation’s vision is to have an everlasting impact on the face of men’s health.
- Guided by it's vision, values and goals, the Foundation sets out the strategy for achieving results through its funded programmes both globally and in each country.
- UK funded programmes currently focus on prostate cancer, testicular cancer and men’s mental health.
- The Movember Foundation is currently funding over 800 men’s health programmes worldwide (Full information about funded programmes is available on Movember.com).
- Programmes are either delivered directly by the Movember Foundation or by one of it's men's health partners, in the UK these are Prostate Cancer UK and the Institute of Cancer Research.